Friday, July 22, 2011

Thing #17: Browsing the podcast universe

Product on Demand is great. Oh, wait. It isn't product, you say? I didn't find anything terrific, but I am sure it exists.

I listened to Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day. For July 22 2011 it is adumbrate, a verb, meaning to foreshadow vaguely. Good podcast. I also tried LearnOutLoud's Spanish course podcast. Very handy. Be even handier if I had a mobile device that played podcasts.

Tried CNN. Listened to a pleasant Out to Lunch: Authentic Tacos. Most of the offerings on CNN look like the same filler CNN broadcasts 24/7. (CNN makes my brain hurt.)

Tried BBC. Chose Radio Scotland (for the accents, duh). Suffered through Kitchen Cafe Takeaway. I cannot recommend.

I have seen good pcasts, like this.

I like the concept of having content available at my command. It's just so majestic. Er. I wonder if I can combine the feature of convoing with Etsy peeps who create art/knitted stuff by request with the podcast phenom. Rough example: contact that hypothetical couple in Japan (from the LeFever feature) and request they go to such and so restaurant in Tokyo and review it for me because I'm not sure I want to eat there or another place when I get there in, uh, never.

I found it both odd and true that we consider those who podcast (like the hypothetical Jason with the hypothetical Western couple living in Tokyo) our "friends." But they aren't, I say. Then I wrestle with myself whether that is possible and the nature and meaning of friendship. Then I tap out, because wrestling yourself isn't pretty.

The Library ought to have a podcast or three.

When I think of podcasts, I think of whaling.

Extra credit: yeah, I saw that. Don't subscribe to that Radio Scotland foodie program.

1 comment: