Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 9: Online Reader Tools

@ Goodreads recommended Joe patron to read Montana 1948 by Larry Watson.

@ Bookletter I selected New Fiction to receive, but think that Books on the Air and Book Sizzle would be tremendously helpful for me in assisting patrons who want to know about, "that book that's being made into a movie with Carey Mulligan." The others are good to have as current reference hot sheets that we can show patrons who want to stay current on a variety of topics.

@ NoveList I tried the Teen age group and searched for If You Like...Coraline. The recommendations were a little weak. Then I searched Teen, Halo (The Game) and it recommended, among others, Ender's Game. Excellent match, I thought. I'm not crazy wild about OSC and Ender, but it is one of those novels that I think gaming teens and even those younger ought to read. I'd definitely consider it a classic. I also looked at Teen Fantasy and Contemporary Fairy Tales Adaptations. Again a little weak as most titles were only rated two or three stars. But they did get Beastly on there, so there's that.

NoveList appears infinitely useful to guide oneself through unfamiliar reading territory. I'd direct a curious reader to it any day.

Other resources I'd recommend to patrons would be the obvious Goodreads and Shelfari.com so they can create their own community of readers and get recommendations from friends near and far, new and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment